Whether you have a vague idea of what a DBA degree program entails but you are keen to know more, or if you know very little about this further education option and the potential benefits it could have for your career, you have come to the right place.
Within the below article, you will discover exactly what a Doctor of Business Administration is, what you need to do to make sure you are ready for this type of degree, and how it can help you progress in your preferred profession.
Plus, some helpful tips on how you can fully commit to obtaining this qualification while continuing to work in your current position and caring for any family commitments you may have.
Of course, you are!
What is a DBA degree?
A DBA, or a Doctor of Business Administration degree, is a business-focused qualification that is widely recognized and respected in the world of business. Although not currently as well-known as an MBA or a Ph.D., a DBA is incredibly beneficial for employers and employees alike as it involves theoretical knowledge and how it can be directly applied in the workplace.
For example, a Ph.D. in Business is aimed at students who want to contribute to the academic world. In contrast, a DBA degree is more focused on how you can contribute to the practice of management within a workplace or a particular industry.
The DBA is a professional doctorate that can be used to indicate a high level of knowledge in your chosen area of expertise, enabling you to improve upon vital business skills such as critical thinking and problem-solving.
Why should I get a DBA degree?
The appeal of undertaking a DBA for most professionals is in its ability to help students focus on real-world, business-orientated skills that can result in them acquiring a more senior-level position within their specific sector, or even in a new industry.
Furthermore, a DBA will enable you to learn about the latest business research, trends, and theories, meaning that from the moment you start your degree program, you will have a competitive edge over other professionals within your field who are not studying for this level of qualification.
To put it simply, do you want to be seen as an expert in your chosen industry?
Do you want to be the one who others turn to for advice, leadership, and knowledge?
If yes, then a DBA degree might be the right choice for you.
How can I choose the right degree program for me?
Choosing to embark on a DBA degree is a huge commitment; this is undeniable. However, this does not mean that it is not feasible for you and your circumstances.
If you have the right qualifications and experiences, plus the determination to succeed, there are options to suit everyone.
For example, if you are a busy professional, then an online DBA program such as the one provided by Aston University could be the right choice for you. Their DBA degree is specifically designed for working professionals who are looking to study and work at the same time.
If you do choose this program, you will be able to complete your DBA within 4 years, whereas if you chose to study for a Ph.D. in Business it could take you up to 6 years and the end result may not even be the best option for your circumstances and career aspirations.
Additional benefits of studying for your DBA degree online include:
- Increased flexibility – you can study when and where you want to without the restrictions of a classroom or a set schedule.
- You can learn at your own pace – although you can complete your DBA degree in under 4 years, you have the option to take up to 6 years if you prefer to work more slowly or have family commitments that take up a lot of your time.
- You will have access to several highly effective online tools such as video conferencing, podcasts, vodcasts, live discussions, and leading academic support.
Who should consider a DBA degree?
If you are currently a senior executive, a business consultant, or even a business school academic, a DBA could help you to enhance your professional capabilities and prepare you for either a career development opportunity with your current employer or even a move to a completely different industry.
A DBA can prepare you for several highly rewarding and lucrative careers, including:
- C-level roles such as CEO, COO or CFO
- Business consultancy roles
- Director of Human Resources
- Government employee
- Other management or administrative roles
Depending on the type of DBA degree you choose, you will be prepared for experience in these fields through coursework in management topics and related research.
What can I expect after completing a DBA?
There are so many advantages to undertaking a Doctor of Business Administration degree, one of the most advanced degrees available to those who work within the field of business, with some of the most notable benefits being:
- A DBA shows your utmost commitment to the field. Although an MBA, master’s in business administration, is a popular choice for managers and leaders who want to expand their skillset, a DBA is an ideal choice for those who want to go the extra mile. Those who want to truly stand out from the competition.
- A DBA will prepare you for working in senior-level positions across all sectors. Even if you are passionate about your current industry sector, that does not mean that one day you might not want to try something different. Career fatigue is not to be taken lightly and having the option to move with ease to another industry within the business world is a strong advantage.
- A DBA will allow you to command a higher wage. The ultimate goal of most working professionals, a DBA degree will instantly allow you to ask for a pay rise. In fact, most DBA graduates can command six-figure salaries, especially those who work for larger corporations.
- A DBA will challenge you. Last but certainly not least, a DBA degree will challenge you to grow, both as an individual and as an employee. The business world is continually evolving, and therefore, if you want to keep up, it makes sense that you, too, will need to be willing to evolve and adapt your skill set accordingly.